From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey
[The following call for action and fundraising appeal was issued by the Research Institute for Turkey, Bostonbul, GIT North America, and concerned academics from the United States and Candada.]
There have been several crackdowns on academics in Turkey. Many have been detained, jailed, and even dismissed from their posts through statutory decrees. Among them are the “Academics for Peace,” who signed a declaration for ceasing human rights violations in the Kurdish provinces. Signed by 2,212 academics in Turkey, the declaration is supported by 355 international scholars. As of March 2017, at least 383 signatories have been purged from their jobs, banned from traveling abroad, and denied recourse to legal dispute. During this difficult time, these scholars have to support their livelihood and families.
To show solidarity with the affected academics, Research Institute on Turkey and Bostonbul, both 503(1)c non-profits, GIT-NA and concerned academics in North America are launching a campaign to raise an initial fund of $105,000 and to support about 35 academics for 6 months over minimum wage. The funds will be fully allocated to financially support the Academics for Peace through close collaboration with Education and Science Workers’ Union, Egitim-Sen, and other associations which are actively assisting the purged Academics for Peace at the local and international level.
Here is how you can help:
- Donate at this link. There is no small amount. All donations are fully tax deductible within legal limits. Your employer may match your donation -please use the name Research Institute on Turkey, Inc. with Tax ID # 81-4004031. For more information please see here, talk to your HR Rep, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Forward this link to your network and encourage them to get involved.
- Tweet about it: https://twitter.com/RIoTurkey/status/841720000293527552
- Share it on Facebook: https://goo.gl/JjEZU9
Recent Posts by Jadaliyya Reports
- Torture, Physical Coercion, and Reprisals in Bahrain Belie Commitment to Reform Mar 26 2017
- The Syrian Uprising Six Years On: Causes, Dynamics, Prospects, GMU Lecture by Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad Mar 21 2017
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus Mar 21 2017
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf Mar 18 2017
About the Palestine Page
Since its launch in 2010, Jadaliyya has published many incisive pieces on Palestine and Palestinians across a broad disciplinary spectrum. To date, those works have been featured on the Occupation, Intervention, Law (O.I.L.) page. Now Palestine has its own page (and OIL is being revamped a Law and Conflict page). This change allows Palestine to command the distinctive attention that it deserves, and the concentration of articles and other materials on this new page will make it easier for our readers to find what they are looking for when they go to the Jadaliyya home page. Welcome to the Palestine Page!
Palestine Blogs and Sites to Follow
Palestine Twitterers to Follow
"It is through this strategy of capitalizing from the partisan squabbles among political parties that the monarchy has anchored itself in Morocco’s political landscape as a “uniting” and seemingly “necessary” actor."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- الوضع العارض والمؤقت للشباب: ريادة الأعمال ليست حلاً
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 28)
- Violence: Theirs and Ours
- Syria Media Roundup (March 27)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- إسطنبول.. لجوء في انتظار اللجوء
- الأغنية الوطنية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع ايليني مستكلم وفارس شوملي
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 20-26)
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 27)
- Dark Beirut: The (In)Visibility of Electricity
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 26)
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)